Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Weekend Recap: Birthday Edition

Hello! I hope everyone had a lovely weekend! 

I turned 24 on Sunday, and got to spend it celebrating with my family and friends in Kingston! Ryan and I left Ottawa first thing in the morning on Saturday, and arrived at our destination just before lunch. We were only there for 2 days, which flew by far too quickly, but we still had a really great time! I feel so blessed to have such amazing friends and loving family. 

Ruby with her stick!
So after we had lunch at my parent's house, we got a chance to stretch our legs a bit more when we took the dog for a walk. Ruby isn't the first dog my parents have owned, but she's far and above my favorite! I just love her so much! 

After having a quick dinner, we all headed out to see Jurassic World, which premiered on Friday. Oh. My. Goodness. It was amazing! I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole film! I don't want to give up any spoilers by discussing the movie too much, but let me just say, as a devout Jurassic Park fan, you will not be disappointed by Jurassic World! It has been, by far, the most entertaining movie I've seen in a very long time! If I get my way, Ryan and I will hopefully be seeing it again before it goes out of theaters.

On Sunday, Ryan and I woke up fairly early to make bacon and eggs, and have some of the raspberry danish at my aunt's house. After getting ourselves organized, we walked over to my parent's house, and then headed downtown to one of my favorite Kingston restaurants, Phenom Penh. I had number 19, which is a tofu and rice dish with a mildly spicy peanut curry sauce. My other favorite is number 10, which is a mildly spicy dish with shrimp and chilies. From what I saw and sampled of Ryan and my family's selections, you really can't go wrong with anything you choose! 

Unintentional coordinating outfits + a beautiful pink centerpiece! 
After eating, we headed back to my parent's house for a bit of down time, while I met up with two of my oldest friends, Jennifer and Patrick. We got free drinks at Starbucks (completely unexpected!), and spent an hour walking around downtown, catching up, and talking about my engagement and wedding plans. It was so great to see them, and I really cherish our continued friendship after so many years!

My mum had the table set up beautifully in pink and gold (the color scheme I'm leaning towards for the wedding), with a lovely rose and peony centerpiece. We had chicken, sausages, mashed potatoes, and salad. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer pie instead of cake, so we had three options for pie: coconut cream (my mum's own recipe!), lemon meringue, and my current favorite, strawberry rhubarb! My aunt Elizabeth also brought a really decadent lava cake that everyone thoroughly enjoyed! We also got to enjoy a bottle of Veuve Clicquot, courtesy of my aunt Brenda! After dinner and dessert, I opened my gifts (all so lovely and thoughtful!), and spent the rest of the evening relaxing and spending time with family. As it was a Sunday night, we didn't stay up too late, especially since Ryan and I had to catch the train back to Ottawa first thing Monday morning. 

Thank you to everyone involved in making this weekend so wonderful, and to all my family and friends across the world who shared their love and birthday wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment